Monday, March 23, 2009

Spring Break: Beats working


When I was a college student, I never went to Cancun or South Padre Island or Fort Lauderdale or any place fun for spring break. When spring break finally rolled around, I went home to work at a ski area or in my dad's liquor store to make enough money to get me through the rest of the semester.


Only since I started working at the University of Wyoming have I been able to enjoy spring breaks the way they were meant to be enjoyed - to the max.


This year, my son and I headed for Bozeman, Mont., for some fun. We skied Bridger Bowl, Big Sky and Moonlight Basin. My son broke his snowboard binding so I loaned him mine, which meant I didn't snowboard at all. But I telemark skied for the first time this year, and also enjoyed riding my alpine boards on some extreme terrain.


We hit a lot of new runs. Bridger Bowl this winter opened Schlasman's Lift, which accesses 1,700 vertical feet of steep bumps. At Big Sky, we rode the tram to the top of Lone Mountain and descended the Liberty Bowl in clouds and blowing snow. Poor visibility made the run treacherous and challenging. The next day under blue skies, we rode the Headwall Lift at Moonlight Basin and skied their expert terrain.


After a winter at our local Snowy Range Ski Area, the opportunity to shred some big mountains (and 10 inches of powder at Big Sky) was a wonderful change.


Needless to say, it was tough coming back to work today.


No comments:

Post a Comment